£65k - 70k per year
01252 759 162
5 months ago
Head of Sustainability (Sustainability Lead)
Salary: £65,000 to £70,000 per annum plus excellent benefits
Location: Walsall, West Midlands (Hybrid working)
Contract: Full Time, Permanent, 37 hours per week
Closing Date: Wednesday 8th September
At whg, we are passionate about the environment and climate change, and aim to be recognised as the ‘best in the sector’ at reducing our environmental impact, including an ambition to transition to a carbon neutral status. We know we have strong foundations in place to achieve this, but we want to accelerate our progress, and that’s why we’re looking for a Head of Sustainability to develop and lead on our roadmap to carbon neutral. This role will lead in integrating the associations ESG and unifying all the positive work across the association and our communities.
Main job responsibilities:
- As our ESG and sustainability subject matter expert, you’ll work closely with the Board, Group Executive Team and Senior Leadership Team to influence and develop our strategic thinking on carbon neutral. You will develop and implement an innovative strategy to work towards carbon neutral status
- Taking an overarching view of carbon neutral activity at WHG, you’ll work with external partners to collate meaningful carbon neutral data to evaluate the impact of the strategy, using this data to highlight to internal stakeholders their impact on our carbon neutral goal.
- To oversee and coordinate the delivery of our carbon neutral strategy, working with stakeholders at all levels and from all departments to identify and implement innovative and pragmatic solutions to reduce our carbon footprint and improve our ESG rating.
- Keep up to date with the evolving climate change agenda to further inform our strategic thinking on our carbon neutral aspirations, ensuring our strategy is continually reviewed and updated as and when required.
We're looking for:
- You’ll be a strategically minded professional, a visionary leader and a great collaborator too - able to create the strategic direction for WHG, develop the associations EGS and be able to bring together carbon neutral activity from a range of teams into one overarching programme.
- You will have a real passion for the environment and climate change. You’ll have a keen interest in the latest innovations and technologies in carbon neutral, with the ability to implement innovative solution to help us work towards our carbon neutral and ESG goals.
- You will be an exceptional communicator with the ability to build rapport quickly and positively influence a wide range of people.
- You’ll have the ability to lead behavioural change within an organisation to begin the transition towards becoming carbon neutral.
- You’ll also be able to work in the detail too. We’ll need you to be innovative, able to challenge stakeholders with new ways of thinking and be confident to implement new ideas.
What’s in it for you?
In return, you will receive a competitive salary, 27 days annual leave (plus Christmas shut down), a defined benefit pension scheme, health cash plan, a range of shopping and leisure discounts.
We are output focused and flexible and believe in giving colleagues the right balance of autonomy and support to enable them to work to their full potential. Despite the high expectation for performance and delivery, we are committed to ensuring colleagues have a healthy work-life balance and able to work in agile ways which support them.
We are an established and growing provider of high quality, affordable housing and support services for our customers and communities. We own and manage more than 21,000 homes in 19 local authorities across the Midlands. We are dedicated to the success of our people and places, creating sustainable communities and supporting our customers to lead happy lives.
We aim to increase our role and influence in the region over the coming months and year, strengthening existing partnerships and developing new ones.
Our People Strategy presents a clear picture of how we will achieve our Corporate Plan aim, ‘Be an exceptional place to work that attracts, develops and retains talent’. The Strategy focuses on three key themes that help us support our colleagues to make a difference to our customers, the communities we serve and to themselves.
It is important to us that we have a diverse workforce, representative of the communities we serve. Equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) to us means colleagues living our values, dedicated to doing the right thing and exercising good judgement. This will encourage a culture where all can thrive, acknowledging that everyone is different; what matters to us is that everyone can come to work and feel comfortable to be themselves.
We are proud to be accredited as a Disability Confident Employer and ensure that disabled people and those with long term health conditions have the opportunity to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations while working with us. We want to make it clear that we welcome disabled applicants for all our roles. If in doubt look out for the Disability Confident logo.
We will ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will interview applicants with a disability if they meet the essential criteria for a role. We will also support existing colleagues with a disability or long-term health condition enabling them to stay in work, making reasonable adjustments if necessary.
We are committed to keeping colleagues and candidates safe during COVID-19 and will deploy a range of selection methods that comply with current guidelines.
For further information about the role, please click the 'apply' button to be redirected to the website of Principal People, our retained recruitment advisors where you can apply for the position. If you would like to discuss further, please contact a member of the team to have an informal and confidential discussion:
01252 954 953
01252 954 954