£58.5k - 63.5k per year
01252 759 162
7 months ago
I am currently assisting one of the UK’s leading Universities with a key appointment to the post of Head of Biological and Chemical Safety. Reporting to the Director of Safety Services and as part of the Safety Services Leadership Team this role will work in partnership with the President and Provost and senior leaders to create a proactive and positive safety culture across all biological and chemical functions within the Universities portfolio.
This exciting leadership role will work in collaboration with the senior leadership team and departments to provide advice and assurance relating to all aspects of biological and chemical risk. The role will lead, coach and further develop a high-performing and customer focused team of safety professionals that will play a significant role in oversight of biological and chemical safety, compliance and performance within the University.
To fulfil this requirement, we are seeking an industry-leading candidate with significant skills in a biological or chemical related specialism as well as demonstrable experience in a safety leadership role in a large and complex organisation. With a background and professional qualification in health and safety, you will possess a proven track record of delivering health and safety management initiatives that drive organisational change and performance improvement. You will have the ability to engage and positively influence key stakeholders across the University and associated third party organisations.
This position will be predominantly based in central London with occasional travel within local area yet due to the flexible working arrangement we are able to consider candidates based throughout the UK.
The appointed Head of Biological and Chemical Safety will be responsible for:
- Providing assurance to the Universities senior leadership team, that compliance with legal and statutory requirements are being met with regards to the handling, use and storage of biological and chemical agents.
- Lead the design and implementation of licensing, monitoring and recording of controlled substances across the University.
- Lead the design, implementation and delivery of a framework for monitoring biological containment level 2 and 3 facilities to offer assurance of a consistent standard of excellence in regard to safety.
- Lead on the implementation and monitoring of the Target 100 programme for departments with a significant biological or chemical focus to ensure it is at the core of safety performance and processes
The ideal candidate for Head of Biological and Chemical Safety role will:
- A visionary leader with strategic planning and senior leadership qualities.
- NEBOSH Diploma level qualification or equivalent ·
- Chartered Member of Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) (or actively working towards chartership) ·
- Significant experience of successfully devising and implementing safety management systems and projects relating to scientific research with hazardous chemicals and / or biological agents
- Significant Leadership and management experience in complex organisations ·
- Experience in management of specialist teams·
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills·
- Proven ability to operate successfully at a senior level and to build positive relationships·
- Relevant Biological/Chemical Degree or proven industry experience.
This is a fantastic opportunity within one of the leading Russell Group Universities in the UK and will be highly sort from candidates throughout the country due to the flexible base location. To ensure you don’t miss out on this excellent opportunity, please apply immediately to avoid disappointment.