£70k per year
01252 759 162
about 1 month ago
Head of Health and Safety
A fantastic senior opportunity has arisen for a Head of Health and Safety to join The Scouts Association, a nationally recognised charity. Principal People are delighted to announce that we have been retained exclusively as a search partner to The Scouts Association, working in collaboration to identify a best-in-class Head of Health and Safety.
Reporting to the Chief Safeguarding Officer, you will be responsible for managing both the National Safety Manager and the HQ National Safety Manager, offering support to a wider team of four Compliance Quality Officers. You will be responsible for setting the direction for health and safety across the organisation at a strategic level.
Operating flexibly across the UK network of sites, including the Head Office in Chingford where you would be expected to be based for a minimum of two days per week, this is an excellent opportunity to work for a well-established organisation who are now ready to take the next evolutionary step on their Health and Safety journey. This is a very exciting time to join the organisation and lead the team to achieve further success.
Why this is a great opportunity:
- A newly created position with an organisation who are passionate about ensuring a continued safer working environment for its staff and volunteers nationally.
- A senior position which will focus on the development of the overall health and safety function with the opportunity to embed a positive health and safety culture across all levels of the organisation through best practice.
- Working for a nationally recognised organisation with a positive youth impact across our communities.
- Working for an organisation that are passionate about diversity and inclusivity which are upheld by a highly regarded set of values.
- The Scouts Association have grown tremendously over the last 13 years and have further substantial plans to continue to grow over the next five years and beyond. The health and safety function will play a huge part in its contribution to future growth plans.
- As a senior member of the Safe Scouting department, contribute to the wider strategic and operational plans for safety and safeguarding.
- Lead the safety function for the Scouts to drive the right culture and practice throughout all scouting activities and within the HQ operations.
- Working closely with senior volunteers, design a formal safety strategy for scouting, based on analysis of need across the organisation, implement the strategy and monitor its effectiveness.
- Proactively develop appropriate rules, policies and guidance relating to the safe provision of Scouting and maintain these in line with best safety practice.
- Establish and implement an effective quality assurance framework for safety in relation to staff, volunteers and young people.
- Prepare reports for the Safety and Health & Safety Committees and other relevant forums on matters of safety.
- Represent the Scouts externally on matters of safety, including liaison with families, courts and external regulatory bodies.
- Working closely with Scouts’ operational managers, design a formal safety strategy for staff based on analysis of need an implement the strategy and monitor its effectiveness.
- Ensure that all significant and critical incidents are appropriately managed, identify learning to support future prevention and that the learning is implemented.
- Provide a high-quality advisory service to the movement and to the Scouts’ managers on safety matters, including an out of hours’ service.
- Ensure the availability of quality management information to be used to inform safety practice and lead to improvement in safety in scouting.
- Manage delegated budgets.
- Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Chief Safeguarding Officer commensurate with the general level of responsibility of the job.
The successful Head of Health and Safety will:
- Hold the NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent health and safety qualification.
- Have leadership skills within a dispersed and diverse team with the ability to improve processes and accountability within the health and safety function.
- Be experienced in developing and implementing behavioural and cultural change programmes.
- Experience of implementing safety policies and good practice for volunteers.
- Experience of designing and using quality assurance systems to support improvements in safety.
In return, the successful Head of Health and Safety will be offered a salary of up to £70,000 + 25 days holiday plus 3 additional days gifted over the Christmas period as well as bank holidays. They offer a contributory pension with 3% from the employee and 6% from the employer respectively. You will also benefit from a company Health Scheme and other Wellbeing benefits.
If this could be of interest, please apply now for your opportunity to register your application, or alternatively please contact Shakira Payne at Principal People on 01252 954 965 or email@example.com.