£58,404 - 63,483 per year
01252 759 162
4 months ago
I am currently assisting one of the UK’s leading Universities with a key appointment to the post of Head of Safety Governance and Risk. Reporting to the Director of Safety Services and as part of the Safety Services Leadership Team this role will work in partnership with the senior leadership team to create a proactive and positive safety culture across all Infrastructure functions within the organisation’s portfolio.
This exciting leadership role will provide advice and assurance relating to all areas of safety governance including custodianship of the health and safety management system, safety risk, legal requirements, safety committees, senior management reporting including the Universities Management Committee and Council and compliance with statutory obligations.
This role will influence and challenge the existing procedural models to offer assurances and continuous improvement in relation to the safety governance and risk of the university to enable the University to remain at the forefront of sector developments.
To fulfil this requirement, we are seeking an industry-leading candidate with significant skills in safety governance and risk as well as demonstrable experience in a safety leadership role in a large and complex organisation.
The appointed Head of Safety Governance and Risk will be responsible for:
- Provide strategic vision and visible leadership, in relation to safety governance and risk across the Universities community.
- Work with the Universities community to ensure duty holders are appropriately skilled to deliver exceptional standards of safety performance by supporting learning and challenging safety preconceptions.
- Develop strong working relationships, reporting lines and joint working with other Safety Services Heads to meet the highest standards of statutory and legislative compliance and evidence-based practice.
- Support and empower senior leaders to instigate and take ownership of new initiatives that will create a positive safety culture.
- Lead on the development of health and safety management systems and supporting technologies to meet best practice standards reflecting the needs of the University, horizon scanning for future challenges, changes in legislation and best practice.
The ideal candidate for the Head of Safety Governance and Risk role will:
- A visionary leader with strategic planning and senior leadership qualities.
- Chartered Member of IOSH or relevant other industry accreditation
- Significant experience of managing health and safety at a senior level
- Extensive experience of providing solutions, influencing and coaching leaders to adopt to maintain and exceed Health and Safety performance
- Proven experience in successfully leading and developing consistently high performing teams
- Evidence of experience in working collaboratively in leading teams
- Proven track record of delivering interventions to prevent activities considered unsafe or which might put an organisation at high risk, whilst still working collaboratively in a diverse environment
- Significant evidence of continuous improvement in all areas of risk, safety and governance including cost savings arising from getting things right first time and business cases for investments being approved
- Significant knowledge in strategic development of health and safety management systems, thereby ensuring that statutory obligations are fulfilled and risks are minimised
- Proven track record of implementing programmes to deliver safe, reliable and compliant operations, positive impacting organisational health, safety and wellbeing culture.
- Exceptional communication, influencing and relationship building skills, combined with the ability to develop long-term positive relationships
- Proven ability in initiating and establishing policy changes that have had a significant and positive impact on health and safety
- Highly adaptable and resilient to ensure success in a growing, agile and diverse environment
- This is a fantastic opportunity within one of the leading Russell Group Universities in the UK and will be highly sort from candidates throughout the country due to the flexible base location. To ensure you don’t miss out on this excellent opportunity, please apply immediately to avoid disappointment.
This is a fantastic opportunity within one of the leading Russell Group Universities in the UK and will be highly sort from candidates throughout the country due to the flexible base location. To ensure you don’t miss out on this excellent opportunity, please apply immediately to avoid disappointment.