Benefits will be Pro-Rata to a 0.5 working week
01252 759 162
9 months ago
Health and Safety Adviser (Chemical & Biological Safety) Part-time 17.5 hours per week (£36,482 to £39,510 pa FTE)
We are looking for a part-time (0.5 FTE) Health and Safety Advisor to join our Legal Services Department (Health and Safety). The applicant will support the Head of Health and Safety to provide a professional support service to the University of Roehampton in order to achieve statutory health and safety compliance and to continuously improve health and safety management performance.
This position will implement a comprehensive health, safety and Chemical and Biosafety program to support scientific research and teaching, giving guidance as appropriate and also monitoring compliance.
Why is this a great opportunity?
At Roehampton, they change lives by helping their students to develop the confidence, knowledge and adaptability they need for a successful graduate career and fulfilling life.
They are a supportive, close-knit and inclusive community, with a proud history in higher education stretching back more than 175 years. The University's values come from this rich history, built on community, engagement and partnership, with a belief that no matter their background, they can help students realise their ambitions. Graduates today have excellent employment prospects, and are part of a thriving global community of Roehampton alumni.
By providing an engaging portfolio of courses across the creative arts, social sciences, law, humanities, literature, education, business, and human and life sciences, including nursing. Roehampton also have an excellent research profile. With international reach, our research informs policy, enriches culture and improves people’s lives.
Based on a beautiful 64-acre parkland campus, located in the heart of south-west London. Staff have access to excellent facilities and a generous range of staff benefits.
The Successful Chemical and Biological Safety Advisor will be responsible for:
- To provide support to the Life Sciences Department with regard to Chemical and Biological Safety. Advise on regulatory requirements within the laboratory environment.
- Other responsibilities will include supporting the other Health and Safety Advisors on all support functions of the H&S office. For example: DSE workstation risk assessments, new and expectant mothers risk assessments, Occupational Health Service, Fire Safety, Capital projects, Contractor Safety, Statutory examination and testing of plant and equipment, collation and analysis of health and safety performance management data, and preparation of management reports.
- To support the development of health and safety policy and procedures and the provision of information and training to the organisations employees and students.
- Developing a positive Health and Safety culture within an organisation
The ideal Chemical and Biological Safety Advisor will have:
- A relevant Science degree with relevant Health and Safety experience in this area or a level 6 qualification within Occupational Health and Safety with experience within a Scientific work environment.
- The ability to work autonomously and provide support to the Head of Health and Safety in managing the Life Sciences Department with regard to Chemical and Biological Safety and advising on regulatory requirements within the laboratory environment.
- Have demonstrable experience working within a multi-disciplined organisation.
- Be a solution focussed practitioner with a passion about influencing positive Safety culture
- Additional Laboratory related Health and Safety qualifications, such as Radiation Protection Supervisor, Biosafety Practitioner, COSHH... (highly desirable)
In return, the successful candidate will be offered a salary of up to £39,510 plus 30 days leave 3 – 4 additional closure days and bank holidays on top, an exceptional pension scheme and CPD budget on offer. This is a part time role working 0.5 of the FTE role and benefits package will be pro-rata accordingly.
We have interview availability over the next two weeks. To ensure you don’t miss out on this excellent opportunity, please apply today to express your interest.