£45,610 - 53,757 per year
01252 759 162
4 months ago
I am currently assisting one of the UK’s leading Universities with a key appointment to the post of Safety Advisor. Reporting to the Head of Infrastructure Safety and as part of the Safety Services Leadership Team this role will work in partnership with the senior leadership team to create a proactive and positive safety culture across all Infrastructure functions within the organisation’s portfolio.
We are looking for a qualified Safety professional to join the Universities Safety Services Team. Reporting to the Head of Infrastructure Safety and working alongside other safety advisors and specialists, the main purpose of the role is to provide advice, assurance, and assistance on safety matters to departments across universities.
You will help develop, monitor, and review safety strategies, management systems, policies, procedures and standards as well as provide safety training and coaching. You should have knowledge and practical experience of CDM regulations and activities etc.
You will have the relevant safety professional qualifications and be able to demonstrate leadership, the ability to persuade, negotiate and influence and must have an ability to derive realistic, practical, workable, and cost-effective solutions to improve safety management.
The appointed Safety Advisor will be responsible for:
- Assisting the Director of Safety Services in the delivery of Safety Services aims, objectives and agreements including the production and maintenance of Safety Policy, Codes of Practice, Guidance and arrangements.
- Acting as the focal point of contact and advisor for the assigned Departments for safety issues.
- Assisting Departmental Safety Officers and other nominated safety persons in the maintenance and development of arrangements for the management of health and safety.
- Delivering safety training and coaching as required by the Safety Training Plan under the direction of the Safety Training Manager.
- Acting as specialist advisor/assessor as required.
- Conducting audits and inspections etc. as required.
- Investigating accidents/incidents and report findings.
- Promoting, at the departmental level, awareness of the arrangements for the management of health and safety and the implementation thereof including safety training.
The ideal candidate for the Safety Advisor role will:
- Be educated to degree level in a science related subject and/or suitably qualified with extensive (minimum of five years) relevant experience in a similar role.
- Hold a professional qualification i.e., Chartered IOSH or similarly recognised qualification.
- Have previous experience of managing health and safety in a substantial and complex organisation.
- Have evidence of ongoing CPD.
- Have xomprehensive knowledge of health and safety legislation with detailed knowledge of the implementation of the CDM Regulations.
- Hold a CSCS (Manager/Health and Safety Manager/ Professional Person grade).
- Have experience of working in a health and safety role in an environment with multi-disciplinary issues.
- Have experience in the development and review of procedures for the risk assessment of experimental equipment/processes/techniques.
- Have experience of the development of practical standards for equipment designed, modified or built by the researchers.
- Hold knowledge and practical experience of activities involving complex process equipment and rigs especially from an engineering, chemical engineering or chemistry background.
This is a fantastic opportunity within one of the leading Russell Group Universities in the UK and will be highly sort from candidates throughout the country due to the flexible base location. To ensure you don’t miss out on this excellent opportunity, please apply immediately to avoid disappointment.