I am currently seeking a Head of Biorisk Management within a well-established multi-disciplined scientific research organisation.
As a sought-after employer, this is a unique opening within their highly skilled senior team. This excellent position will enhance the successful candidates career, and will fulfil a strategic approach to overseeing health, safety and biological risk within a high risk, laboratory environment. The role offers a real sense of autonomy within a supportive and diverse team that are passionate about the work that is carried out within the organisation as it makes a real difference to people all over the world. The organisation offers a competitive salary and generous package and offers the successful candidate a unique and challenging position.
Reporting to the Director of Health and Safety, the primary function of the Head of Biorisk Management is to develop the strategy for the safe management of Biorisk within the organisation.
Working in a modern and vibrant environment the successful Head of Biorisk Management will enjoy a wide variety of operations that happen on a day to day basis within their state of the art site. Offering variety and autonomy, they may be open to individuals willing to relocate, with the focus being placed on finding the best individual for the business.
The successful Site Head of Biorisk Management will be responsible for:
- Providing professional and technical advice on all Health and Safety matters of work with biological agents, animal and plant health controlled and prohibited materials to all Head of Departments/Divisions, Safety Officers, Principal Investigators and staff in areas of the organisation in which work with such material, or that which may contain such contaminants, is carried out.
- Providing professional and technical advice on general matters of biological safety to all Head of Departments/Divisions, Safety Officers, Principal Investigators and staff in areas of the organisation. This will provide a service in addition to that already provided by the Biological Safety Officer.
- Provide specific advice on the biological and general aspects of COSHH, Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations, Specified Animal Pathogens Order, The Plant Health Order, The Import of Animal Pathogens Order, Anti-Terrorism Crime and Security Act, clinical waste disposal and other relevant statutory and the organisations provisions.
- Plan budgets and resources required for Biosafety activities across the organisation.
The ideal individual will possess:
- A degree in Biological Sciences or a related discipline
- A NEBOSH General Certificate or many years’ experience of working within complex analytical/research laboratory operations
- Extensive up to date knowledge of biosafety related health and safety legislation and best practice
- Experience of developing and delivering Biosafety strategy
- Demonstrable experience of managing and developing others
- Skills in analysing and synthesising information to produce clear and concise documentation
The industry leading salary package includes a basic salary of £55,000 - £60,000 dependent upon experience. In addition, the organisation offers a generous package including over 31 days annual leave.
If you are interested in this outstanding opportunity, please apply now to register your interest in the role ASAP!