Site Biological Safety Officer
An incredibly exciting opportunity has arisen for a Site Biological Safety Officer within a well-established multi-disciplined scientific research organisation.
As a sought-after employer, this is a unique opening within their highly skilled senior team. This excellent position will enhance the successful candidates career, and will fulfil a strategic approach to overseeing health, safety and biosafety within a high risk, laboratory environment. The role offers a real sense of autonomy within a supportive and diverse team that are passionate about the work that is carried out within the organisation as it makes a real difference to people all over the world. The organisation offers a competitive salary and generous package, and offers the successful candidate a unique and challenging position.
Reporting to the Director of Risk & Assurance, the primary function of the Site Biological Safety Officer is to provide professional support necessary to comply with biosecurity and biosafety requirements under health & safety law and related legislation.
Working in a modern and vibrant environment the successful Site Biological Safety Officer will enjoy a wide variety of operations that happen on a day to day basis within their state of the art site. Offering variety and autonomy, they may be open to individuals willing to relocate, with the focus being placed on finding the best individual for the business.
The successful Site Biological Safety Officer will be responsible for:
- Being the BSO, leading coordination of compliance with organisations site licence under the Specified Animal Pathogens Order 2008 (SAPO), with the COSHH Regulations 2002 in so far as they apply to biological agents, with the Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations 2014, and with other legislation applicable to biorisk.
- Being the primary point of contact for Health and Safety Executive on all biorisk regulatory matters, including the HSE Major Hazard Intervention Plan derived from the SAPO licence, and to host all HSE visits and interactions in relation to SAPO, the Major Hazard Intervention Plan and biorisk, and to remain contactable and available out-of-hours, and to be the final internal authority on any biorisk matter.
- One Biorisk Advisor to assist in day to day operations
- Support the development and implementation of applicable management systems including ISO 45001, and work in conformity to quality management systems such as ISO 9001
- Develop and deliver effective biorisk training
- Carry out workplace biorisk inspections, vertical audits of management of biorisk, and horizontal audits on specific biorisk topics with timely reporting of findings.
The ideal individual will possess:
- A degree in a bioscience subject, or equivalent
- Previous research or technical laboratory experience
- Significant experience of working as a biological safety officer / biorisk adviser that includes experience of oversight of high containment facilities, or of working as a specialist biorisk regulatory inspector
- Biosafety qualifications / training (such as ISTR BioSafety Practitioner or demonstrably equivalent experiential learning
- Display and apply leadership qualities, and be a respected and credible expert
- A NEBOSH General Certificate / A PhD in a bioscience subject or similar are highly desirable
The industry leading salary package includes a basic salary of £50,000 - £65,000 dependent upon experience. In addition, the organisation offers a generous package.
If you are interested in this outstanding opportunity, please apply now to register your interest in the role. First stage interviews will commence week beginning 21st of September.